Thursday 25 August 2016

Td5 D2 bodywork - OSF Wing Respray (2)

Got lucky with the weather today. It was warm, overcast (initially) and above all calm. Too good an opportunity to miss. So I bit the bullet and went for it. 

Spent the first hour masking the wing in pretty much the same fashion as before. I made greater use of the blue painters masking tape, making sure that it was used for any contact with metal, glass or plastic surfaces. I used the thick white masking tape for blocking out and joining large bits of paper.


The grill and headlight unit were removed as was the side repeater. The supply cable for the repeater still had that piece of garden wire attached from the last attempt so there would be no drama in retrieving it later from inside the wing cavity.

Just before spraying, the wing was wiped down with a tack cloth. 

Gave the colour coat can a good 2 min rattle and then placed it in a hot water bath to warm up. By now the Sun was breaking through but the wind remained calm.

Would like to say I was confident in my ability, but the truth is otherwise. I was like a Diesel Train stumbling across the points in the middle of the night, unsure of my direction yet propelled forward by sheer momentum..

The spraying soon progressed and I must have waited at least ten minutes between each coat. They dried really quick. Before each coating I would spray a small line onto the masking paper to tally up the coatings and give me something to test dry. The photos show five all over coats were applied, but that's not counting the earlier initial two coats from the other week.


All the above photos were taken after the colour coat had been applied and the rattle can had ran out. I find it really hard to judge when the rattle can is nearing it's end and fear the 'spit and splutter' effect ruining all the hard work.

The 'U-pol' lacquer can was prepared in the same way. It had been standing in the sunlight so was nicely warmed. It went on easily and I kind of altered the technique in line with that you tube vid. I slowed the movement slightly and overlapped the previous pass more and noticed how easily the 'shine' built up.

I lost count of how many coats I applied. I did intend to finish the can on this wing and that was duly done. I can confidently say that the wing had more coats applied then any of the doors.

Once again I left about ten minutes between each coat and in the break would inspect the wing closely. The sun was now shining strong and in such a position that it highlighted the surface and showed up what looked like a fine misting all over the wing. This turned out to be some kind of silvery dusty deposit from the previous coating. Thankfully it came off with a clean micro fibre cloth and I'm pretty sure it was a by-product of the spraying, maybe even the propellant. It was present after each spraying and I like to think that my removal of it helped achieve a better finish.


The above photo was taken at that angle to show how well the finish of the wing blends with the drivers door shoulder. Bear in mind that the shoulder is the 'target' for the finish I want to achieve on all panels.

Another view taken later and with the same intent as the previous one..

So, all in all a pretty successful day. I will wait a few days at least before cranking the polisher up and mopping every panel..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.