Saturday 4 November 2017

MOT DAY (AGAIN)

That time of year has come around again.

This will be the first MOT since I started altering the Turbo Wastegate. I tell myself that it should in theory have no effect on the engine emissions, but there's a nagging doubt back there. Hx now revs more freely then before and as the emission test is partly done at max rev it could create a spike at some point.

Confident there is no smoke emitted under acceleration, but it will remain to be seen. I even thought of winding back the wastegate adjustment! At least that could be a course of action if the emissions test proves problematic.

Having booked the test at the same garage, I dug out the current MOT noting its advisory of 'slight engine oil leak' and 'r/o/s tyre close to limit'. I was confident the fluid leak from the front of the engine had been resolved and I intend to swap that tyre with the spare before the test.

When removed and inspected, the damage visible on the tyre was a bit alarming....


The two photos above show the extent of the cut on the inside wall of the tyre with the second photo showing the 'cut' spreading across the thread to the outer wall.

Slap on the wrist time for me. There have been known issues with this tyre since ownership began as it slightly deflates on a weekly basis. 

This tyre will be replaced and I will thank myself for avoiding a blow-out. 

Other work in prep for the MOT mainly involved crawling under, wiping the transfer box and checking for any rust or loose and rattly components. Noticed that the gearbox casing looked to have developed a leak from the drain plug.

The engine fluid levels were checked. I topped up the coolant and the engine oil. The engine oil was just on the Min mark so I put half a litre in to bring the level up between the min and max mark on the dipstick.  

All the electrics were checked, as were the seat belts and door locks. The windows and mirrors were cleaned and finally a quick wipe down for the alloy wheels.

I sat out the test in the reception area, watching the progress through the glazed partitions. Took about 50 minutes for the verdict to be delivered. ... a Pass!!

There were no 'advisory' comments.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.