Thursday 13 July 2017

Td5 D2 engine - MAP test (5)

Wednesday 12th July 2017.

Did another little test run today (T7), using the new road circuit. It's a lot shorter then I thought it would be. And already I'm beginning to think the inclines are not testing enough.... or maybe Hx is improving!!

The Nanocom data log has 341 lines which at roughly a second per line equals 5.5 min of which 52 sec was stationary (mainly at the start/finish point).

  -  It was a hot dry sunny day.
  -  The engine temp range was 78 - 88 deg.
  -  The fuel temp was 65deg throughout
  -  The inlet air temp was 32-35 deg.

About a week ago (30/06/17) I adjusted the Turbo Wastegate Actuator by another full thread. It is now at 10 threads visible on the adjustment nut.

The performance pick-up is certainly more noticeable. I have been driving around for over a week and was hoping the improvement would come through in the figures obtained from today's test run. 

Initial studying of the data doesn't show the increase in the MAP value that I was expecting... I'm looking for a MAP figure of over 230kpa and was dismayed that it does not appear to be increasing much even after the three adjustments...

MAP values under load peaked at 219kpa (T7 line 188). That's 75km/h at 2379rpm.  Not sure what gear that was, but I reckon I should be confining these 'test' runs to 3rd or 4th gear when under load.

T6/288 produced 220kpa at 2607 rpm. Does this show the difference in gearing?  Or does it point to increasing boost levels? Confusion is creeping in here.

There seems to have been more Wastegate Modulator activation on this test, but that's probably because the engine was under load more frequently then before...

The initial conclusion here is to turn the boost up another thread ....  What could possibly go wrong.?


WEDNESDAY 13TH Sept 2017.

This test run (T8) was done on 13/09/17, having adjusted the 'thread count' on the Wastegate Actuator to show 9 threads on 29th July 2017.  I spent a while riding around with this setting just to get the general feel for it. I was happy with the performance it brought, and even thought of adjusting it no more.

Curiosity eventually got to be too much and I needed to know what the figures were to at least backup my thoughts and theory about turbo boosting!

This was the second time I used the new road circuit. I am already feeling that the circuit is too short even though it does offer repeated runs. The first climb up the 'on-ramp' quickly crests then dips leading to a left hand turn then a long climbing right turn slowing to a T-junction. A short drive to the next on-ramp starts with a descending left hand turn them a short straight climb cresting to a down ramp and another T-junction that finishes the circuit. Turn right through the underpass and your at the start again.

On the ODF file, I attempted to interpret the engine revs to determine what gear was in use. I wrote this down in the far column along with a description of the test course at that point. On the test I was conscious of staying in 3rd or 4th gear and avoiding 5th as it knocks back the revs too much. My interpretation of the road gears are open to debate, but I am confident from reading the RPM figures.

On this test there was a broken down LGV blocking the test lane just as I crested the first hill. Not what I was expecting to see and it quickly brought things to a halt.

As well as noting the gearing, I made a note of the ambient temp from the A/C unit. It was 13 deg C. The weather was blustery and the road surface was wet, not conducive to a fast drive!

After the second 'circuit', I decided to just cruise around for a while before ending the test run and unplugging the Nanocom. I wanted to see how quickly the engine temp recovered from a fast drive, and whether there was an inherent 'heat-sink' problem. 

The highest MAP value obtained so far was recorded as 223.7k/pa on line 217. This was under load in 3rd and beats the previous 220k/pa by 3k/pa. Assuming  things to be similar (assumption being the mother of all fuck-ups), this does show an improvement, but is not near the 230+ figure I want to see. Time for another adjustment?

The Results : All in 3rd under load, uphill

      T8/90     MAP - 219      MAF - 505.3
                    WASTE  - 34%    RPM - 2683

     T8/217   MAP - 223.7    MAF - 474.5
                   WASTE - 28.7%   RPM - 2414

Tuesday 19th September 2017.

Adjusted the Wastegate Actuator by another thread today. It now stands at 8 threads. I slackened off the adjusting nut and squirted some WD40 onto the adjuster threads. Last time the adjuster was tight and I had to use a hand wrench to adjust it. Well, today the adjuster turned easily enough under hand pressure. I was tempted to adjust two threads but stuck to the one thread rule I seem to have adopted.

Saturday 23rd September 2017

Did another Nanocom test (T9) with the adjuster set to 8 threads.

Surprisingly and disappointingly, the test results do not show any increase in MAP value over the previous test (T8) despite the decrease in thread count on the Wastegate Actuator

The Results :  All in 3rd under load, uphill.
      ( T9 - 170 )
      MAP  -  223.75 K/pa     Waste  -  33.15 %
      MAF  -  494.2 G/ hr       RPM  -  2709

That MAP figure is .02K/pa less then the previous best, but the MAF/WASTE /RPM figures show greater shifts at that MAP value..?  Wondering what that means as it surely does all correlate..?

Made a conscious effort during the test not to go into 5th gear. Only did one circuit and then went along the motorway to observe the engine temperature range. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.