Saturday 5 November 2016

Happy MOT day!

Anticipation has been growing over the past few weeks what with the approaching yearly MOT test and the prospect of a bunch of strangers getting intimate with my squeeze!

I try to keep on top of the maintenance issues and even if nothing is done at least I can say that I knew it needed doing. 
  
My biggest fear is the unknown or slowly developing problem that goes unnoticed at first.  I guess that's a good reason to have someone unattached and independent to examine her for any safety issues.

Age is surely creeping up on her (and everybody else). Hx was first registered 11/09/02 which now sees her into the 15th year. Corrosion in old D2s is not as prevalent as in D1s. My last Discovery (300tdi) succumbed to the tin worm quite famously so once bitten. ....   

As far as I have learned, the danger spots on the D2 are the Rear Chassis rails and outriggers. Last year I treated these areas on Hx to a good scrape down of all the now flaky factory coating and an application of 'Killrust' followed by a spray of Matt black paint which looked mighty fine for a few months then the surface rust began returning. I guess once established it just never goes away.

The only other corrosion issue was on the rear offside inner wheel arch. Thankfully this is not structural so a patched repair was adequate, but it was all the same, psychologically damaging!

So to prepare Hx for the test I checked all the external lights, the wipers, washers, horn, seat belts, and doorlocks. Also inside, I cleaned the windscreen and removed the dangler from the mirror. 

Outside I checked the tyres and pressures and noticed the front o/s was wearing down (evenly) as was the rear o/s. The rear o/s has the historic slow puncture that was present from the start of ownership.  A year or so ago I discovered a cut on the inside wall of that tyre that wasn't noticed on the last year's test and indeed wasn't seen on this year's test either.  Now its my belief that any cut or tear on the sidewall would be a safety issue and a sure MOT fail.....?

Under the bonnet, I checked all fluid levels which were correct and no new leaks. I took out the air filter gave it a good brush and a vac and replaced.  I also removed and cleaned the intake sensor. The 'pitot' hole was clear, but the body was coated in an oily deposit which is surely the condition of the intake manifold and sourced from the engine breather. ..  I did this with an eye on the emission / smoke test  thinking the more air the engine burns the less smoke will be generated. 

Final prep was to get underneath and wipe the transfer box and the cross member of the oily deposits and then a short drive to warm the engine up before surrendering to the test.

For the past 3 years I have taken Hx to the same testing station. I would happily recommend this place. Easy in and easy out, same day service and half the price I've paid elsewhere. An hours wait watching the comings and goings in the office and Hx being shoved around the workshop!

It passed again. Two 'advisories' given. One for the rear o/s tyre worn close to limit and the other for the 'seepage from component ' but in reality it's the oil leaking from the front camshaft cover on the cylinder head, again an historical issue.

Had a print out of the emissions test and I took it on myself to compare it to the print out from last year.  My thinking was to see if cleaning the air filter and sensor made any difference although I don't know how to quantify that difference and indeed the only real test would be to do the emission test before any cleaning took place. Secondly, I confess to not really understanding the emission test procedure beyond the basics .i.e. The smoke test for unburnt fuel in the exhaust. 
  
Comparing the two printouts seems to show that Hx is running cleaner then last year!  I need to study the meaning of the emission test closer.

MOT Smoke Test  2016
Smoke reading  'peak1'  =  0.76 m-1
Zero drift    =    0.01 m-1
Average      =    0.75 m-1
Test Result   0.75m-1   PASS  ( Max.1.50)

Another more alarming statistic is the recorded mileage.  95961 this year and last year was 94933 which means  Hx only ran 1028 miles in 12mths.

Every time it passes I hope for some sort of 'boost' and to find encouragement to do more work on Hx just to get it to that place before ownership ends......

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.