Wednesday 5 October 2016

Td5 D2 Seats - More Options

The question remains whether I should just upgrade the existing seats to the heated option and re-trim them in leather or go all out and fit electric leather seats with armrests and their additional controls?

The extra work does not put me off and it does seem the logical thing to do. Why should I strip down the existing seats to re-trim them, fit the heating pads and then modify the lumbar/armrest mount when I could get all that built in to a set of electric seats? 

Plus, I can prepare the 'new' seats away from Hx and not be as constrained to complete the work on them as I would if I only had the existing seats in Hx to work on.

Prices for 2nd hand interiors are falling and I should be looking to spend up to £250 for all the seats in black leather plus the seat controls and centre console.

Installing the heating elements onto fabric seats seems a no-no. I mean, after many bleak winter morning icy starts, I can honestly say I never thought 'Jeez, these seats are cold'. I reckon it's a different story with leather covered seats. Having said that, I have always thought that electric adjustment would never be used after it had been 'set', I mean no one else drives HX but me.

So there is a lot of indecision here and I can't seem to pin down my thinking one way or the other. I had a good study of Rave regarding the electric seat operation and the seat construction, but also the routing of the electric seat wiring and looms.

That has given me the confidence to go fully electric and I should start by listing and sourcing the components that I will need and think about a program of work to implement the conversion.

Here goes..

1  -  Black leather seats front and back.
2  -  Front seats must be electric and have
        Armrests and heating.
3  -  Seat switches and wiring loom x2
4  -  Centre console with apertures for the
        seat controls. Or modify existing one.
5  -  Centre console heating switches and
        finishing panel.
6  -  Walnut trim for switch panel...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.